Poetry and Story, Landscape and Myth – Imbolc workshop
- The Glens Centre, Manorhamilton
- Sunday, February 2, 10:30 – 16:30.
- €30, booking through the Glens: (071) 9855833
At this workshop, based on the Amherst Method, we will write in response to prompts inspired by Imbolc / Lá Fhéile Bríde.
Imbolc is associated with the birth of lambs, the spring sowing, the return of the long days and the fire of the sun. It is a time of new beginnings, green shoots, the unploughed field, the blank page. Imbolc is also Brigid’s Day – Lá Fhéile Bríde. Brigid, honoured both as a pre-Christian goddess and as a Christian saint, is linked with blessing and fertility, inspiration, midwifery and birth.
No previous knowledge of myth or experience of writing is necessary to participate in this workshop – all you need bring with you is a notebook, a pen, and a willingness to be surprised by your own unique voice.
“What brings me back time and again is the surprise of not knowing what will emerge…”
Kinlough, Co Leitrim, Spring 2020
You like to write, but you don’t know where to start? You used to write, but you can’t remember how you made it happen? You are a writer, but your words feel stale on the page? Then this innovative and encouraging Amherst method workshop is for you.
- Fortnightly, Wednesdays: Jan 15 to May 20, 7 – 9:30 PM.
- Cost for 10 sessions: €155: €155 PayPal button – click here
Image credit: amystrachan https://www.flickr.com/photos/30802789@N02/
Writing and manuscript response for those who are working toward publication. Develop your skills through tailored exercises and guidance on craft, and receive constructive critique and insightful feedback from other writers.
- Fortnightly, Tuesdays: Jan 14 to May 19, 7 – 10 PM
- Almost Full, please contact me before booking.
- Cost: 10 sessions: €185: €185 PayPal button – click here.
********** ********* **********
About my Workshops:
“I have been in writing groups in the past that were not so expertly directed as this one, groups that drifted nowhere in particular, and I soon dropped out of them. I’ll be staying with this writers’ workshop” SL. Read more testimonials here.
Writing Workshops: In the past I have worked with pre-existing writing groups, community groups, Returned Development Workers, women’s groups, libraries, active age groups and transition year students. Click here to read participants’ testimonials. If you would like me to lead a one-off or a series of workshops with your writing group or your community group, please contact me.
- Craft and Critique: I offer Craft and Critique workshops for writers working towards publication, where the emphasis is on the development of writing skills through constructive critique, feedback and tailored craft exercises. The focus of these workshops can be non-genre specific, or focused primarily on poetry, fiction or memoir, depending on the interests of participants.
- Amherst Method Workshops: Do you want to write, but don’t know where to start? Have you ever held back from joining a writers’ group because you felt you weren’t a “real” writer? Or perhaps you’ve been writing for years, but now your words feel stale, or you’re low on inspiration? I am trained to lead writing workshops based on the Amherst Writers method, described in “Writing Alone & With Others” by Pat Schneider, published by Oxford University Press. This writing workshop method is guaranteed to build confidence and to evoke original and surprising work, in both novice and more experienced writers.